Strengthening our bond to improve animals' lives

Aversive Techniques Taught in Vet School?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Sally Foote 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Author
    John Ciribassi
    John Ciribassi
    Keymaster

We have a tech program at a nearby community college and the faculty has supported the use of aversive methods of restraint and generally downplayed more humane and non-confrontational techniques. More recently things have moved away from use of aversives as the faculty has turned over.

So, my question is for those of you who have started clinics, is non-confrontational techniques being taught or are there programs out there still espousing roll overs, neck grabs, and muzzle grasps (to name a few)?

Thanks ahead of time.

Dr. John Ciribassi

John Ciribassi DVM, DACVB
    Chicagoland Veterinary Behavior Consultants
    Carol Stream, IL 60188
    drjdvm@gmail.com
    www.chicagovetbehavior.com

Sally Foote
    Keymaster

Good post Dr Cirribassi.  One of my own clients who took her own dog to the local Vet Med College for care when I was out of town, saw her own dog very agitated due to more traditional force based handling.  Her dog required sedation due to the force of the handling ( my clinic is a Low Stress Handling Certified clinic and her dog does not require any premed or sedation for handling.   Adaptil is enough)  The owner was not happy.

So what is happening at your University Vet med clinic?  If a dog or cat struggles what are you taught to do?

Dr Sally J Foote

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Contact us

For any questions, please contact

Carolyn Lincoln, DVM
AVSAB Corresponding Secretary
avsabe@gmail.com

Find us on facebook, twitter and youtube!