Strengthening our bond to improve animals' lives

Feline housesoiling – defecation

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sally Foote 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author

ckolus@gmail.com
    Participant

I know this is a very general question, but a shelter vet is asking…3yo MN cat, very affectionate with people and other cats but came in from a TNR originally. Adopted and returned twice for defecating outside the litterbox. The shelter vet found no abnormalities on PE. What are your r/o’s for this? thanks for your input.

Cheryl Kolus, DVM

Defecating outside the litterbox is a toileting rather than a marking issue.

My main rule outs would be:

• litter substrate aversion (defecation involves more intimate contact with the litter compared with urinating),
    • litter cleanliness issue,
    • problem with accessing litterbox (eg: in a noisy place, blocked by another cat, sides too high for arthritic cat)
    • musculoskeletal issue/s causing problems in posturing correctly for defecation (although it sounds like the shelter vet has ruled that out with physical exam findings).

Does the cat defecate in the litterbox in the shelter?

I’d suggest checking what litter substrate was in the litterbox, checking number and location of litter boxes in the household, and go from there. I hope that helps.

Katrine

Sally Foote
    Keymaster

Check the anal glands and ask about the stool – any blood?  Chronic colitis cats do this often

Calm diet helps as it is digestible, and has the anxiety supplement

Also all of the above suggestions

Sally J Foote DVM  Tuscola IL

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Contact us

For any questions, please contact

Carolyn Lincoln, DVM
AVSAB Corresponding Secretary
avsabe@gmail.com

Find us on facebook, twitter and youtube!