Strengthening our bond to improve animals' lives

Symposium no longer in association with AVMA convention?

American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior Forums Members Symposium no longer in association with AVMA convention?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  chrispachel 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

amorden@att.net
    Participant

although I think I now know the answer to this, I wanted to verify.  There is no longer a Behavior Symposium in association with the AVMA convention?  I attended in Chicago, and looked forward to going again when the convention was in Boston.  I was unable to find it on the AVSAB website so I could register, and missed it, though I was in Boston.  Is the conference Las Vegas taking the place of the meetings formerly held in conjunction with AVMA  convention?  Is there CE available?  I usually go to the AVMA convention every other year, and was planning my trip to Indianapolis.  It appears that I missed my opportunity to get all my CE requirements met in one trip.  If anyone can tell me about the conference in Vegas, I’d appreciate it.  I am not entirely committed to going to Indy, if I have the opportunity to get more CE in my favorite area.  Thanks advance for your help!

Andrea Morden-Moore, MS DVM

amorden@att.net

John Ciribassi
    John Ciribassi
    Keymaster

3 or 4 years ago ACVB (the American College of Veterinary Behaviorists) took over control of the behavior symposium associated with AVMA convention. AVSAB had to make a decision on how to proceed. We suggested to ACVB to enlarge the symposium with AVSAB running a clinical part of the meeting and ACVB doing the lectures. They declined. They now solely operate the Veterinary Behavior Symposium (VBS) which occurs prior to the start of the AVMA Conference.

So, we had no choice but to strike out on our own. We began what has proved to be a very successful association with the Society of Veterinary Behavior Technicians to run a joint 3 day conference in Las Vegas which combines didactic lectures along with wet labs. This year will be a third year of doing this and we have drawn between 100-125 attendees.

The conference this year is December 1-3 at the Oquendo Center in Las Vegas and details can be found on the conference web site.  Registration will open sometime in August but the slate of speakers and topics have been set and we have been lucky enough to have a great group of sponsors come on board to help the conference grow. Hope to see you there.

John Ciribassi

John Ciribassi DVM, DACVB
    Chicagoland Veterinary Behavior Consultants
    Carol Stream, IL 60188
    drjdvm@gmail.com
    www.chicagovetbehavior.com

amorden@att.net
    Participant

Thanks so much, John, for your explanation.  So there IS still some sort of behavior symposium at the AVMA convention? They sure don’t make it easy to find.  Sounds as if Vegas would provide what I am looking for.  Hope to see you there.

andrea

amorden@att.net

avsabe@gmail.com
    avsabe@gmail.com
    Keymaster

I’ll add that we have stellar speakers at the AVSAB Conference this year and that it sold out the first year. I’m not sure about last year but this year, I’ll be shocked if it doesn’t sell out. We have Lori Haug, Theresa DePorter and a whole list of that caliber! Yay! I plan to sign up Day 1!

Carolyn Lincoln, DVM
    AVSAB Corresponding Secretary

Carolyn Lincoln, DVM

chrispachel
    Participant

Yes, Andrea, there is still a Veterinary Behavior Symposium hosted by the ACVB, that is held in conjunction with the AVMA conference.  Information on that is available on http://www.dacvb.org.  There are multiple conferences now available to practitioners, which is fantastic for our profession and the community!  I’ll be at both this year, and speaking at the one in Vegas.  See you there!

Chris Pachel

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Contact us

For any questions, please contact

Carolyn Lincoln, DVM
avsabe@gmail.com

Find us on facebook, twitter and youtube!