Strengthening our bond to improve animals' lives

Vote on Melanie Cerone, PhD

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by avsabe@gmail.com avsabe@gmail.com 9 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author
    avsabe@gmail.com
    avsabe@gmail.com
    Keymaster

Hello all,

We need to vote on an Affiliate Membership for Melanie Cerone, PhD. Her email follows:

Good Morning,

I am writing to apply for Affiliate Membership to AVSAB. I am a licensed psychologist and certified correctional health professional with diverse training and experience in applied behavior analysis, trauma treatment, forensics and correctional psychology. My lifelong passion for animals inspired me to pursue a career shift and apply my clinical skills to animal behavior. I opened a private practice in canine behavior consulting in February 2016 to help dogs, and their guardians, that present with challenging behaviors. I aspire to become a Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist (CAAB) through the Animal Behavior Society.

I have attached my CV, a summary of my applied animal behavior training and experience per CAAB credentialing, and my bio for your consideration. Thank you in advance for consideration of my applications materials. Please let me know if you have any questions or require additional information. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Melanie Cerone, Ph.D.

Her CV, Credentials and Bio are attached.

Please vote by January 31, 2017.

Thank you,

Carolyn

Carolyn Lincoln, DVM
    AVSAB Corresponding Secretary

Carolyn Lincoln, DVM

Attachments:

Fiia Jokela
    Participant

Excellent candidate to join us!  We would be lucky to have her among us. I vote yes!

Fiia

John Ciribassi
    John Ciribassi
    Keymaster

Bottom line is that I would vote yes for her but we need to be aware that technically she does not qualify. By laws say that she need to have a PhD in an animal behavior related field..which she does not. However, she has a ton of background subsequent to this PhD that I think makes her an excellent member. So, combining her backgound and graduate education, I vote Yes.

John Ciribassi DVM, DACVB
    Chicagoland Veterinary Behavior Consultants
    Carol Stream, IL 60188
    drjdvm@gmail.com
    www.chicagovetbehavior.com

Terri Derr
    Terri Derr
    Keymaster

I agree that she is qualified. I’m uncertain what to do with the fact that her PhD is not in an animal related field. John says it’s OK even though she is not technically qualified, but I’m uncomfortable not following our own rules. I would vote yes except for that, and I wonder if anyone else has any other discussion…?

Terri

Terri A. Derr, DVM
    Veterinary Behavior Options
    Golden Valley, MN 55422

John Ciribassi
    John Ciribassi
    Keymaster

What if we respond to her and state that at the time that she achieves CAAB certification she can reapply for membership. Explain that our bylaws require a PhD in animal behavior but if approved as a PhD CAAB this would likely qualify her for membership. If the ABS accepts her PhD and admits and certifies her as a CAAB then this should qualify her as a member of AVSAB.

John

Carol Stream, IL 60188
    drjdvm@gmail.com

avsabe@gmail.com
    avsabe@gmail.com
    Keymaster

Rehardimg Melanie Cerone as an Affiliate Member, I agree with John. I also agree with your point Terri, but them think that this is why we vote. John has a compelling argument that solves the issue of a PhD in a different area so I vote yes, if she does get the CAAB.

This is not enough votes. That makes three so we need two more in favor or give against.

Please vote.

Thanks,

Carolyn

Carolyn Lincoln, DVM

Carolyn Lincoln, DVM

avsabe@gmail.com
    avsabe@gmail.com
    Keymaster

Hi all,

It’s been a month since Melanie Cerone applied. I need more votes or I will have to out and out reject her. We have:

Fiia – yes

John – conditional

Terri – not sure

Carolyn – conditional

Please respond by Wednesday, February 20th, 2017.

Thank you,

Carolyn

Carolyn Lincoln, DVM

Carolyn Lincoln, DVM

John Ciribassi
    John Ciribassi
    Keymaster

I would suggest responding to her that her credentials are extremely impressive, but she fails to meet the criteria for membership due to the lack of a PhD in an animal behavior related field. If she can pass the certification for ABS, she should reapply. That seems to respect her abilities while adhering to the C and B I think.

John

Carol Stream, IL 60188
    drjdvm@gmail.com

avsabe@gmail.com
    avsabe@gmail.com
    Keymaster

Will do. I’ll give everyone a chance to respond by Wednesday. I let her know that we were discussing it.

Thank you, John.

Carolyn

Carolyn Lincoln, DVM

Carolyn Lincoln, DVM

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Contact us

For any questions, please contact

Carolyn Lincoln, DVM
avsabe@gmail.com

Find us on facebook, twitter and youtube!