1. Who qualifies for regular membership?
Veterinarians (those holding a DVM or equivalent degree). Both U.S. and foreign residents are welcome to apply.
2. How do I maintain my membership?
Annual dues payments is required for membership.
3. How do I cancel my recurring payment for membership?
By default, all memberships purchased with a credit card are set to automatically renew 1 year after the purchase date.
To cancel your recurring payment for your membership, navigate to the account start page, and click on the “purchases” tab. On this page, you will see your membership listed and below the description you will see a link to “cancel this subscription.” Click on it and you will be unsubscribed.
To verify, click on the button again. If you see an error message similar to the following: “Error: Unable to unsubscribe user. Customer cus_XXXXXXXXX does not have a subscription with ID sub_XXXXXXXX” it means you have been successfully unsubscribed.
4. My credit card info has changed – how can I update my membership information?
Unfortunately, users are currently unable to update their credit card information directly. To maintain your membership, you have the following 2 options:
- Wait for your membership to expire, then repurchase your membership with the new card (just make sure you’re logged in when you re-purchase).
- Send an email to email@example.com with your updated information and we will update it for you.
1. Who qualifies for affiliate membership?
Qualified applicants include those holding a doctoral (PhD) degree in animal behavior, or a related discipline, from an accredited college or university, or who meet the following exceptions:
- those whose memberships were established prior to 2002, when affiliate status required graduate educational training in animal behavior or a related discipline from an accredited college or university
- those whose memberships were established prior to 1986
2. I meet all of the qualifications for affiliate membership, how do I apply?
- Submit your current curriculum vitae (CV) to the Corresponding Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org
- A majority vote by the Executive Board is required for acceptance of affiliate membership
- Once your membership is accepted, the Corresponding Secretary will contact you for dues payment if not already submitted
3. How do I maintain my membership?
Annual dues payment is required to maintain affiliate membership. If your membership lapses through non-payment of dues, you must reapply and meet the current requirements for membership as outlined in the Constitution and By-laws
1. Who qualifies for student membership?
Veterinary medical students (those seeking a DVM or equivalent degree) at U.S and international schools, colleges, or universities.
Sorry, but veterinary technicians and vet tech students are not eligible for AVSAB membership. We recommend checking out the Society of Veterinary Behavior Technicians (www.svbt.org) and the Academy of Veterinary Behavior Technicians (www.avbt.net) for behavior resources for technicians.
2. I was a student member but just graduated. How do I upgrade my membership to take advantage of regular member benefits?
Go to become a member page and click either professional or affiliate member (depending on your desired membership level). After purchasing, your membership will change over to the appropriate type.
3. We have a behavior club at our school. How do we apply for student chapter membership?
- Select an advisor who is a current AVSAB member. Advisors may be either regular or affiliate AVSAB members.
- Review the Student Constitution and Bylaws and then go to our membership page, select “student chapter application” and complete the Student Chapter Membership Application Form. You will then be redirected to the page where you can purchase a student chapter membership.
- Send an alphabetized membership list, including full names and email addresses, application and dues payment to the AVSAB Corresponding Secretary (electronic documents should be sent to email@example.com)
- Direct all questions and other correspondence to Dr. Sally Foote at firstname.lastname@example.org
How to renew your membership:
Step 1: login to your user account
Click on the “account login” button at the top right of our website. If you don’t see “account login,” but see “log out,” that means you’re already logged in and can move on to step 2. It is very important that you are logged in with your existing username and password before moving to step 2.
Step 2: repurchase your membership
Click here to go to the “become a member” page, click on your level of membership, and click the “Join Now” button.
Follow the instructions and purchase your membership. You will be asked to provide your billing address and your credit card information.
If you have any questions, please send us an email at email@example.com.