Welcome Veterinarian Students!
If you are a current Veterinary or Veterinary Technician Student with an interest in animal behavior, we’d love to have you become part of our community.
Student membership is open to Veterinary Medicine Students who are currently enrolled in an accredited College of Veterinary Medicine and Veterinary Technician Students currently enrolled in an AVMA accredited program. You can be a member as an individual or as a member of your school’s student chapter. Either way, there is a lot for you to take advantage of: Learn about veterinary behavior, network with other students and veterinarians, and keep up with current developments in the industry.
Benefits of Student Membership
Exclusive Blog Access
As a student member, you can log on to our site to access exclusive blog articles.
Exclusive Forum Access
As a student member, you also have the opportunity to network and exchange information with other Veterinary Students, Student Chapters, and Veterinary Technician Students in our online Student forum.
Student members are automatically subscribed to our newsletter and also have the opportunity to submit items, such as case reports
Benefits of Student Chapter Membership
Each student chapter has a current AVSAB member who serves as chapter advisor. Most advisors are faculty members at the Veterinary school, Technician school, or local Veterinarian and VT’s with a strong interest in animal behavior.
Student chapters of AVSAB qualify for either a $350 stipend for an in-person lecture or two $150 stipends for a webinar per calendar year presented by one of our Speakers’ Bureau members.
Student Chapters should select and then contact the speaker they are interested in having present. Once scheduled, they should contact AVSAB and let them know the speaker along with the scheduled date and time of the presentation. At that time, AVSAB will confirm the Chapter’s membership status and contact the speaker to make arrangements for payment/stipend.
Find a speaker here.
Student Chapter Service Award
AVSAB invites submission of applications for a Student Chapter Service Award. This award honors the student chapter that demonstrated the highest number of club meetings, educational activities, and individual involvement. The winning entry receives a check for $500 in US funds made out to the student group. AVSAB student chapters should submit a detailed list of activities that the club and/or its members organized and attended between July 1st and August 1st of the preceding year, including the following categories:
- Behavior meetings that the club organized (e.g. field trips, lectures, wet labs for students and veterinarians)
- Behavior meetings that club members attended (e.g. continuing education seminars at veterinary meetings, training seminars)
- Community outreach and public education organized by the club or its members (e.g. volunteer activities, fund raisers, open house booth, training classes)
- Volunteer activities of club members in the area of animal behavior (e.g. shelter programs, wildlife centers, pet visitation programs, grief counseling, open house booth, fund raisers)
- Behavior research projects conducted by club members
- Other relevant activities of the behavior club or its members.
The application must include the name and address of the chapter president and faculty adviser. Send applications to: [email protected].
Application deadline: August 15th of each year