Spring Trainer’s Ring 2016
Laura Monaco Torelli
Spring is here! What a fun time of year for us and our pups to get out and stretch our legs after a long winter.
This is also the season for puppies to suddenly spring up, and show up, on our radar as veterinary and training professionals. With the puppy surge comes many flustered owners reaching out for tips to help them become better informed on how to manage and teach these adorable, “all-paws-blazing,” young canines in their midst.
How lucky are we to help make a huge difference right from the start?
Here are fantastic resources to guide our client-puppy teams to.
Denise Fenzi (denisefenzi.com) wrote an excellent blog: It’s a Puppy, not a Problem (http://denisefenzipetdogs.com/2015/08/30/its-a-puppy-not-a-problem/)
Casey Lomonaco (Link: http://www.rewardingbehaviors.com/) shares excellent crate training tips: How to Crate Train Your Dog (http://www.clickertraining.com/node/3140)
Looking for an excellent book about all topics to do with a new puppy? Then consider adding Dr. Ken Martin and Debbie Martin’s (http://veterinarybehavior.com/#welcome) Puppy Start Book to your library. (http://shop.http://shop.clickertraining.com/products/puppy-start-right-foundation-training-for-the-companion-dog)
It takes a great team to support new dog owners and their canine companions when it comes to veterinary and grooming goals. Starting off on the right foot for paw and nail care are vital for long-term success.
Here is a video tutorial that I put together with the excellent help of our veterinary team and my Rhodesian ridgeback, Santino. Hope you find some of these tips helpful!
How to Teach Canine Nail Trims with a Team Approach (http://www.clickertraining.com/how-to-teach-canine-nail-trims-with-a-team-approach)
Continuing Education Information
Additional resources will be added in each subsequent newsletter. Here are a few upcoming events to mark on your calendars.
2016-2017 Training Conferences and Seminars
• Denmark (October 28-30)
2) IAABC (International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants)
• April 9-10 (Anaheim, CA)
3) Living and Learning with Animals for Professionals with Dr. Susan Friedman
• September – October (8 week online course)
4) APDT (Association of Professional Dog Trainers)
• October 12-15 (Las Vegas, Nevada)
5) Pet Professional Guild Force-Free Summit
• November 7-11 (Tampa, Florida)
6) Fenzi Dog Sport Academy Training Camp
• June 19-22 (Gray Summit, MO)
• Portland, Oregon (January 27-29)
2) ORCA (The Organization for Reinforcement Contingencies with Animals)
• February 25-26, 2017 (University of North Texas)
Laura Monaco Torelli